BluMetric is an environmental company with a conscience and a proven track record. We are growing and with that comes opportunity for bright, passionate, hard-working, highly qualified and talented individuals. Our primary workforce includes scientists, engineers, industrial hygienists, environmental auditors, project and production managers, financial and management systems specialists and support personnel.
Our experience has shown that innovation starts with an idea, an opportunity and a receptive platform. Whether you are a prospective board member, an executive, an aspiring manager or a summer student/intern, we would like to give you that opportunity and hear your ideas.
BluMetric is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarian with Disabilities Act (AODA). Accommodations due to a disability are available upon request.
BluMetric is an equal opportunity employer and we thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
We offer competitive compensation and the opportunity to work in a progressive, stimulating environment. If you are up for the challenge, you can reach our HR department at Careers@BluMetric.ca.
Current Job Opportunities
BluMetric Environmental Inc. is looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and reliable intermediate hydrogeologist to join the geosciences team at our Sudbury office location. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and technical skills, knowledge of regulations, and writing abilities. We are looking for a motivated, team-oriented individual who fits our corporate culture, has a great attitude and is a problem solver. This is a leadership track position with significant opportunities for advancement within the company. Bilingualism (English and French) is considered a significant asset.
Include, but are not limited to:
- Manage small projects to medium sized projects.
- Supervise and/or implement field programs including soil and groundwater investigation and monitoring.
- Evaluate and interpret data including geology, hydrogeology, and chemistry.
- Data management and interpretation.
- Proposal and report writing.
- Training and mentoring junior staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The ideal candidates will have their B.Sc. in Earth Sciences with a preference for an M.Sc. in hydrogeology
- Candidates must be (or be eligible to be) registered as P.Geo. in Ontario.
- A minimum of 5 years of consulting hydrogeology experience supporting engineering and environmental geosciences projects for industrial, private, and government clients.
- Solid understanding of geology, physical (water supply, dewatering, etc) and chemical hydrogeology including contaminated site investigations, delineation and remediation.
- Experience performing groundwater, surface water and soil monitoring and sampling, borehole drilling and monitoring well installation, logging of field samples, and the preparation of borehole logs.
- Experience in Environmental Site Assessments (Phase I, II) and Risk Assessment.
- Understanding of solid waste management site assessments and site design.
- Experience with all aspects of project management.
- Knowledge of Ontario and Canadian environmental guidelines and regulations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. The ability to write professional reports is paramount.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites (northern Canada) and other offices with some overnight travel and flexibility to work outside normal business hours as required.
- A valid driver’s license.
Blumetric is looking for a full time Water / Wastewater Field Service Representative responsible for the installation and commissioning of water and wastewater treatment systems and maintenance and repair of all ancillary equipment used in the operation of water and wastewater treatment plants. Trouble shooting and adjusting the Water/Wastewater Treatment processes as required. Instrumentation/ PLC experience is required as the position will be responsible for programming controls within our production facility as well as in the field so all systems function as per engineering and customer requirements.
Include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain, install, repair, setup of process control equipment (I.E. controllers, transmitters, final control elements);
- Maintain, repair and calibrate instrument equipment;
- Maintains proficiency in prescribed TSSA, ESA safety procedures, codes and standards;
- Perform special investigation and experimental work as required;
- Application and setup of VFD and multi axis servo control systems
- Interpret electrical schematics and process flow drawings involving blueprints, PLC or DCS systems;
- Diagnose complex process problems, determines best resolution and execute safe repair;
- Develop, provide and ensure complete and proper safety clearances and procedures as required;
- Prepare detailed daily activity log, updates drawings and calibration sheets when required;
- Detailed teardown and repair of control valves, actuators and positioners. Reassembles, tunes and setup associated hardware;
- Perform simple layouts and fabrications to install or upgrade instrument hardware;
- Respond to service calls on all water and wastewater systems, repair, replace or adjust components where needed;
- Work with Production, Testing, Purchasing and Field Start-up to resolve questions/issues that arise
- Site work travel required for commissioning and troubleshooting. Typical travel can be expected up to 50% and sometimes on short notice.
- Creating HASP prior to site work
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- College Diploma in Electrical/ generator/PLC Instrumentation or equivalent in experience
- Program Allen-Bradley, Omron and Siemens PLC's and HMI’s
- Two years of experience (minimum) in a process dependent industry, preferably in a water or wastewater treatment plant.
- A valid Ontario unrestricted G class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated and have own transportation.
- Must have a valid Passport and the ability to travel internationally.
- Minimum Reliability Status security clearance or ability to get.
Mechanical and Electrical Experience
Candidate must have knowledge and experience in the maintenance of the following mechanical/electrical and process related equipment:
- Gear motors and speed reducers
- Electrical control Panels
- Industrial Wiring Protocol
- Programmable logic controllers and software
- Maintenance and operation experience related to water and waste water treatment equipment. (Hands on experience is an asset)
BluMetric (BLM) is currently seeking a Water / Wastewater Project Manager for the Ottawa, Ontario office. The Project Manager is the primary point-person responsible for planning, executing, and delivering corporate projects on time, within budget, and in accordance to specifications. To achieve these important goals, the Project Manager will define project requirements and scope, acquire project resources, and supervise the efforts of project team members. Efficient delivery of project deliverables, effective quality control, and clear communication of expectations to stakeholders, and upward reporting to the PMO are critical tasks that must be performed throughout each projects lifecycle.
Include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the entire lifecycle of the company's project portfolio, ranging from strategic planning initiatives to tactical activities;
- Design, implement, and supervise the implementation of all new system installations, expansions, modifications, migrations;
- Establish a Project Charter for each approved project, defining the projects goals, objectives, risks, assumptions, staffing levels, roles and responsibilities, work breakdown structure, milestones, and deliverables;
- Conduct cost-benefit analyses, risk analyses, and ROI calculations to determine project feasibility;
- Manage project activities throughout lifecycle, including the allocation of adequate resources, scheduling, documentation, budget, and other factors necessary for success;
- Plan all project timelines, milestones, deliverables, and micro-deliverables using the appropriate software tools and/or PM methods;
- Organize project teams into suitable workgroups and guide the teams throughout their efforts to produce deliverables according to specification;
- Negotiate with other business units to obtain required skill sets;
- Establish and deliver mechanisms for tracking project progress and reporting to stakeholders via a formal communications plan;
- Conduct stakeholder meetings and forums in order to solicit feedback, input, and expectations; incorporate these into project plans;
- Establish, implement, and follow a formal change management program;
- Reallocate resources across multiple projects where necessary; identify and resolve any resource allocation discrepancies;
- Adhere to established methodologies for project management;
- Produce regular reports (status, escalations, etc.) on the progress of projects; deliver these reports during regular stakeholder meetings;
- Track all project costs to ensure completion within budget; procure extra budget funding where necessary;
- Closely monitor the efforts and billing of third-party workers, such as consultants, contractors, and other specialists;
- Identify and resolve conflicts within project teams and associate work; create contingency plans to mitigate risk;
- Manage project dependencies;
- Conduct project post-mortems in order to identify areas for improvement; make recommendations based on findings;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in project management.
- Post-Secondary Education in Environmental, Engineering, Construction Management or other relevant degree.
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods.
- Commissioning and Plant Operations experience would be considered an asset.
- Proven experience in project management and process review /selection for water and wastewater treatment.
- Demonstrated experience in development of Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), scheduling and schedule analysis, cost estimating and cost control, budget development, reporting, and record/document control.
- Proficient in common desktop packages, i.e. Word, Excel, Wrike (or other scheduling tools).
- Certification such as CCE, PMP, or related certifications.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong business acumen.
BluMetric is searching for enthusiastic team players to complement existing staff in our Quebec (Gatineau and Montreal) Offices. At BluMetric, you will be exposed to a variety of activities that may include environmental site assessment, remediation of various contaminated sties, hydrogeology, industrial hygiene, landfill monitoring, engineering, treatment systems and much more. The majority of the projects are located in the Outaouais region, but also in Montreal and northern Canada.
BluMetric is offering a full time employment position.
- Configure equipment / stations to monitor and collect data on soils, ground and surface water, sediments, air
- Take groundwater samples from observation wells and surface water points
- Supervise and describe hydrogeological drilling and installation of observation wells in accordance with provincial regulations
- Dig or drill at shallow depth using manual equipment
- Collect and describe soil or sediment samples as part of drilling and exploratory excavation programs
- Track groundwater and surface water for various projects
- Use transportation such as a truck, ATV or canoe / boat to get around
- Continue to develop the QA / QC processes and procedures of BluMetric
- Prepare, implement and monitor various types of aquifer tests
- Document field activities
- Perform maintenance and calibration of equipment
- Prepare and maintain the necessary reports and records as needed
- Meet clients and other stakeholders on the site
- Communicate with site representatives and ensure that the documentation / procedure / security protocol is adequate when working with a client
- Respect the safety rules and best practices of the site, BluMetric and the government regulations
- As a technologist, you will often be placed in a supervisory role working with subcontractors and will have the responsibility to ensure the respect of the staff on construction sites
- Assist in data entry, compilation, processing and management using Microsoft Word and Excel and / or other specialized programs as needed
- Post-secondary education or diploma related to environmental sciences, geology or equivalent
- Must be bilingual; French and English
- Member of the Order of Professional Technologists of Quebec (OTPQ) would be an asset
- Minimum 1 to 3 years of field experience in environment or engineering
- At least one year of experience supervising field programs on construction, industrial or mining sites
- Relevant experience in sampling groundwater / surface water, soil, sediment
- Construction, maintenance and decommissioning of observation wells
- Relevant experience in carrying out aquifer tests
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in geological, structural and geotechnical logging an asset
- Familiarity with the operation of weather stations and surface water stations.
- Positive attitude and good team spirit, detail-oriented, flexible, highly motivated and able to work effectively from remote locations
- Ability to work in all seasons, in often difficult weather conditions, at remote sites
- Ability to handle field and / or laboratory analytical equipment
- Experience working outdoors and using maps and technical plans
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite
- Good verbal and written communication skills in French, functional spoken and written English and ability to apply detailed instructions
- Valid class 5 driver's license and access to a vehicle
BluMetric Environmental Inc. is looking for a creative Environmental Engineer to lead and further add to the technical bench strength in Ottawa. If you are motivated to solve complex environmental issues, work hard as a team in a leadership role and enjoy a sense of work life balance, then come and work with us.
This role will primarily focus on the environmental engineering aspects of site assessment & remediation and waste management projects. The individual will have practical experience and will take the lead for environmental engineering in Ottawa. The individual will be part of the company-wide engineering group with the potential to be involved in projects throughout Ontario, Quebec, and northern Canada. The successful candidate will delegate and oversee the work of professional staff and provide mentoring to these individuals. The individual will need an entrepreneurial spirit and strong leadership skills.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Civil, geological, or environmental engineering degree with P.Eng. designation (or qualifications to obtain designation) in Ontario.
- Minimum of six (6) years of engineering experience in the environmental field.
- Extensive project management on multi-discipline projects.
- Demonstrated client management and business development skills.
- Strong leadership skills with a focus on team building and mentorship.
- Familiarity with current Ontario environmental regulations and guidelines related to site assessment, waste management, groundwater, surface water, soils, and/or sediment.
- Ability to liaise with engineering design sub-contractors on engineering design and construction projects (review of geotechnical, civil, or structural designs, costing, and construction site supervision).
- Solid understanding of hydrogeological principles in practical applications (dewatering etc.).
- Strong written and verbal communication, including the ability to write polished professional technical reports. Bilingual (French) written and verbal skills would be a significant asset.
- Promote safety culture in all aspects of work.
Duties & Job Responsibilities
- Manage and provide technical input of all aspects of the project life-cycle, including but not limited to: identifying clients or business opportunities; define project scope, cost, and schedule for client proposals; planning of work, execution of technical / field programs; design and/or reporting; presentation to client; implementation of recommendations or future needs analysis; and client follow up.
- Lead intermediate and junior professionals on engineering projects.
- Generate, maintain and grow client list.
- Manage projects in accordance with BluMetric Quality Management System (QMS).